It was once a summer camping ground for Chief Leschi's Nisqually tribe. After the first peoples were displaced, the park became a recreation destination for Seattleites living in the denser areas of the new city. There was a large dance pavilion, boat rentals, even a zoo and the Lake Washington Cable Trolley Line brought city folks to the area by way of a thrilling downhill ride on a wooden roller coaster type structure, ending by the ferry docks. With no bridges then, lake traffic was by foot passenger ferries. There once was a bandstand with weekend concerts.
The area known as Leschi Park was owned by the railway company and sold to the city in 1909, becoming Seattle's second oldest park. Much of this early history was celebrated at the day long Centennial event in 2009. An Arts & Crafts fair was held in the park the following year.
Today the park is mostly manicured lawns and flower beds with a rich assortment of specimen trees. There are restrooms and paths leading to the children's playground and the outdoor tennis courts. The marina area has a boat launch for hand carried boats and boat moorage.
This park can be reached by Metro Bus #27 which stops right at the northeast corner of the park.